Employment Practices Liability (EPL)
Complaints filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission totaled 84,254 with $398 million recovered by the agency in 2017. Retaliation was the most common claim, followed by race, disability, sex, age, national origin and religious discrimination. Even before the #MeToo movement began, sexual harassment cases were already at the highest level since 2010.
With the ongoing evolution of employees, workplaces and employment laws, companies of all sizes and in all industries are increasingly carrying EPL insurance. Traditionally, EPL insurance claims have increased during economic downturns, since even legitimate terminations and layoffs have a way of turning into lawsuits during times of financial insecurity. But instead, as the economy has rebounded and grown, an EPL uptick has continued fueled by greater turnover from increased competition for workers, higher expectations and less loyalty among employees, activism, wage and hour lawsuits, and the myriad of federal, state and city regulations. Add the #MeToo movement and companies are finding themselves more vulnerable than ever. Indeed, a recent study found that one in every four women experience sexual harassment in the workplace.
Why is Business Risk Partners the company that more and more companies are turning to? We partner with solid, A-rated carriers to provide the most customizable coverage in the business. What’s more, our coverage is comprehensive. Not only do we protect the assets of private companies, our coverage includes the personal assets of the Directors and Officers of those companies. Sometimes exposure to liability is policy-based. Whatever the nature of the business, BRP is ready to provide the right coverage.
- Validus Specialty and Business Risk Partners Offer New Admitted Management Liability Form
- Video: April Salvas, Senior EPLI Underwriter, discusses enhancements to EPLI policy available from BRP.
- Lisa Doherty talks to NPR’s Marketplace on the evolution of EPLI
- BRP Offers EPL for Law Firms, Staffing Agencies, PEO’s and LARGE Insureds!
- Insurance Journal “The New Normal in EPLI”
- BRP EPLI Covers Some of the Toughest Industry Sectors
- What Do The Following Industry Segments Have In Common?