Active Assailant Insurance
Business Risk Partners
Why is this Product Needed?
2019 saw a dramatic increase in both frequency and severity of incidents through both lone shooter and terrorist attacks. In recent years, the modus operandi of terror attacks has changed towards the lone wolf style incidents. It is not always easy to identify the motive behind an attack, so this product doesn’t require it to be terrorism or workplace violence (although both would be covered under the policy); it has significantly broader triggers for coverage – even if an incident doesn’t occur, but is only threatened.
What Types of Clients Should Consider Coverage?
When does it respond?
- Active Assailant Incident
- Any attack (it need not be premeditated) at a covered location involving the use of a weapon (including handheld instruments, small arms, explosives and vehicles); and/or
- Threat Incident
- Any threat to injure a person(s) or to damage, destroy, or contaminate any property at a covered location.
What does it cover?
- Legal Liability
- Physical Damage
- Business Interruption
- Loss of Attraction
- Bodily Injury and/or Death Benefit
- Extra Expense:
- Brand Rehab, Emergency Accommodation, Funeral Expense, Psychiatric Care, Temporary Premises, Child Care, Forensic Clean-up, Medical Expenses, Repatriation, Temporary Staff Costs, Rewards & Death Benefits
- Response Consultant Fees
Policy Limit: Up to $10MM
Examples of Incidents:
- An ex-husband enters an office building and brandishes a handgun. The police are called. The policy would provide for extra security arrangements as well as psychiatric care for employees.
- A gunman killed three employees of a military veterans’ home in Northern California before shooting himself. The policy would cover the potential legal liability along with any physical damage to the property and resulting business interruption.
- A shooter took customers hostage at a supermarket in Los Angeles, CA. The policy would provide for cleanup costs, medical and psychiatric costs for customers, potential legal liability that may result, along with business interruption resulting from the time the business needed to remain closed.
Additional information can also be found on our website at www.businessriskpartners.com.
Please contact us to learn more or to obtain a quote.